Ronald S. Evans
Ron Evans recently joined Barnes & Diehl, and brings with him a wealth of trial experience of over 40 years. “Ed Barnes and I practiced law together in 1976 at a renowned litigation firm known as Bremner, Byrne, Baker and Janus. We cut or teeth trying all manner of criminal and civil cases, layers the background for later success in the area of family law.” Evans enjoys the reputation of being fair but firm. “My approach to representing people in the area of family law is to try to resolve matters amazingly; trying to “create light” rather than to generate heat, but when matters need to be litigated, I am more than capable.”
Evans’ grandfather was a detective on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, traveling by rail hours through Pocono Mountains to New York’s Penn Central Station. With his experiences with lawyers came respect, for the law and lawyers and he passed this passion down through Evans’ father and to him.
“Early on, I was taught to love and respect the American System of Justice and the ruled law.” He channels that energy to every client he is given the privilege to represent. “There is no higher calling.”
Academies & Honors:
- “AV ® Preeminent ™” under the Martindale Hubbell ® Rating System
- The Best Lawyers in America (1993 – present)
- Virginia Super Lawyers (2006 – present)
- Lawyer of the Year in Family Law, Richmond, Virginia (2013)
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers (2015)
- Family and Personal Law
- Matrimonial and Child Custody Law
- Legal and Medical Malpractice
- B.A., Virginia Commonwealth University, Exemplary Leadership Award
- J.D., University of Richmond School of Law, Decisions and Legislation Editor, University of Richmond Law Review
- Paralegal and law clerk, Hunter and Williams, Gay, Powell and Gibson, 1974-1977.
- Associate and later Partner Bremner, Byrne, Baker and Janus, 1976-1999.
- Founding Partner, Bremner, Dohnal, Evans and Yoffy, 1999-2017.
- Partner, Freeborn and Peters, P.L.L.C., 2017-2019.
- Barnes & Diehl, 2019 – present.
Bar Association & Activities:
- Virginia State Bar
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, VA Chapter President 2016-2018
- Board of Governors: Family Law Section of VA State Bar 1988-1992, Chair 1991-1992
- Family Law Coalition, 2006 – present
Civic & Other Activities:
- Vestry Member, former head of the
“Every Member Giving” Campaign at St. James’s Episcopal Church
- Congregations Around Richmond Involved to Assure Shelter (CARITAS)
- Howell v. Howell, 31 Va. App., 332 (2000)
- Westberg v. Westberg, 12 Va. App., 657 (1991)
- Watts v. Watts, 40 Va. App., 685 (2003)
- Barnann v. Barnann, 25 Va. App., Lexus 440 (2005)
- Montgomery v. Talbot, 1997 Va. App., Lexus 475
Virginia Continuing Legal Education:
- Frequent Lecturer on Family Law matters