John K. Karanian
Phone: (804) 796-1000
Fax: (804) 796-1730
John K. Karanian is a Shareholder at Barnes & Diehl, PC who has focused his practice on family law matters since 2004. He is a former practicing forensic and clinical psychologist with the Central Intelligence Agency. Mr. Karanian has been voted a Super Lawyers© Virginia Rising Star from 2007-2014 and a Virginia Super Lawyers© from 2015 to Present.
- Barnes & Diehl, P.C. (2004-Present)
- Central Intelligence Agency (Clinical Psychologist, 2000-2001)
- Liberty Forensic Unit – Riverside Regional Jail (Forensic Psychologist, 1999-2000)
- Central State Hospital, Maximum Security Forensic Unit (Clinical and Forensic Psychologist, 1997-1999)
- United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Prisons, Federal Correctional Institution, Butner, North Carolina (Clinical Psychology Intern, 1996-1997)
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia, Juris Doctor (2004)
- University of Hartford, West Hartford, Connecticut, Doctor of Psychology (1997)
- Georgetown University, Washington, D.C., B.A. (1992)
- Medical College of Virginia, Department of Psychiatry, Assistant Clinical, Professor (1998-2000)
- Virginia Licensed Clinical Psychologist
- Virginia Certified Sex Offender Treatment Provider (1998-2012)
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Court of Appeals of Virginia
- All Virginia Courts
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section
- Metropolitan Richmond Family Law Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Metro Richmond Bar Association Judiciary Committee, 2009
- Chesterfield County Bar Association
- Selected to Virginia Super Lawyers (2015-Present)
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star (2007-2014)
- All-American Scholar Award, United States Achievement Academy (1992)
- “Frequent Childhood Moves – Poorer Quality of Life”, Virginia Family Law News, Volume 31, No. 1, Spring Issue (2011).
- “Do You Really Want to Put the Child on the Stand”, Michael HuYoung & John Karanian, Virginia Bar Association News Journal, Volume XXXV, No. 4, Winter Issue (2009).
- “Challenging Expert Testimony About Child Sexual Abuse”, John Karanian, Virginia State Bar, Family Law News, Volume 25, No. 4, Winter Issue (2005).
- “Assessing Elopement Risk from Forensic Hospital”, Greg Wolber & John Karanian, Journal of Forensic Psychology, (2002).
- “The Relationship Between Depression and Self-Efficacy in a Sample of Sheltered Homeless Adults”, John Karanian, Doctoral Dissertation (1997).
- “Come Play The Family Feud”, 5th Annual Bench Bar Conference, Moderator, 2016
- “Mental Health Issues in Family Law”, National Business Institute, Continuing Education Seminar, October, 22, 2014.
- “Sexual Abuse in Family Law Cases”, Virginia CLE, July 28, 2009.
- “Selecting a Qualified Expert”, 8th Annual Advanced Guardian Ad Litem for Children Seminar: What GAL’s Need to Know about Child Custody Evaluations, December 12, 2006 (with Arnold Stolberg Ph.D.).
- “Legal Ethics for the Criminal Practitioner” Virginia Trial Lawyer’s Association, VTLA’s Annual Criminal Law Seminar, October 28, 2004 (presentation by Michael HuYoung & outline by John Karanian).
- “Stalking”, Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, DC (08/10/00).
- “The Clinical Assessment of Malingering,” Institute of Law, Psychiatry, & Public Policy, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia (06/09/99).
- “The Multiphasic Sex Inventory and Assessment of Sex Offenders” Central State Hospital, Petersburg, Virginia (04/29/99).
- “Sex Offender: Pedophilia,” Forensic Evaluation Seminar, Department of Psychiatry, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia (08/21/98).